Things I stopped buying as a minimalist

März 28, 2018



Hey guys, I am back with another blogpost. Today I am going to write about the things I no longer buy as a minimalist. If I can think about more things I might write a part two in the future.

Plastic Bags 
Where I live you rarely get plastic bags with your purchase anyway and if so you need to pay for them. In supermarkets you can no longer even buy plastic bags and get to choose between paperbags, cotton totes and PET bags which if you didn't know are made out of recycled plastic bottles.

I personally think PET bags aren't as bad as people like to make them. At least you re-use a resource and I mean the damage is done, the plastic is everywhere on this earth so you might as well turn it into something else useful.
Also keep in mind that for the production of cotton totes and paper bags you need tons of water.

Stationary/ Planners
I used to be big into planning and loved to buy extra things like stickers, pens or washi tape to make my experience even more fun. But since being a mininalist I have so much more free time and waaay less on my plate there really isn't much to plan anymore. And if there's a very important appointment I prefer to set an alarm on my phone.

Decor
I was never good at decorating.  Whenever I tried I prefered the way the area looked before. Also to clean an area is so much more time consuming. To pick up the item, clean it, clean the surface, put everything back. And that for EVERY nicnac you have? Nah, not my thing.

Over the counter cleaning products
Many over the counter cleaning products aren't vegan. I don't think you have to be vegan to find that gross. Also they are sooo toxic. If you're supposed to put on protecting gloves in order to not damage your skin while you're cleaning something...shouldn't that warn you?

Liquid Soap
Liquid soap is like a bar of soap but diluted with water. There are way more chemicals in liquid soap than in bars of soap, too

Body wash
I use the same bar of soap that I wash my hands with for my body. Cleaner incredients plus no packaging that I waste.

Body Lotion
Instead of body lotion full of chemicals I prefer natural essentials oils or shear butter.

Body Scrubs
Many body scrubs are very aggressive to the skin and not good for sensitive skin. I use a loofah however I'm looking into body brushes and sponges right now as they seem to be more eco-friendly and sustainable.

Magazines
To be honest I loved buying fashion and style magazines like Vogue, Elle and Hapers Bazaar. I had  quite a collection. The thing is I would never go back to an older issue and look through it for some reason. And since we have the internet with all the information of trends and runway shows virtually available I decided to ditch the magazines and safe the paper instead (plus the money).

Duplicates/ Buying in bulk
Now, don't get me wrong. Oftentimes buying in bulk can be a good idea especially if something is on sale you go through a lot. But not always. You still need to think about what you buy in bulk and if you even use up more than one.
Duplicates are often unneccessary and in makeup terms they might go bad. Fashion wise we tend to buy duplicates if we're scared we won't be able to get it in the future. But taste changes all the time and most pieces really are replacable with something similar. But as long as you stay with basics go ahead and get yourself three exemplars of your favourite T-shirt.

Lid Rollers
I wear A LOT of black. So a lid roller is a must, right? Wrong! Lid rollers need to be re-purchased all the time and the cost sums up.  I would recommend getting a clothing brush. They are much more gentle to your clothes and some come with a shoe brush on the other side of the clothing brush. It's a win-win situation.

Sleepwear
I never owned many pajamas. But I loved purchasing t-shirts with cute quotes or graphics on them like clouds or what not. But honestly I can also re-use my faded or lightly worn down t-shirts. I see how silk pajamas or a sleeping gown are glamorous and chic but no one sees me in my sleep anyways, sooo.

Bottled Water / Plastic Water Bottles
I live in Germany. Our tap water is mostly very safe to drink and very healthy, too. We don't have flouride added to it. I don't like to consume plastic when I don't need to and in my case I thankfully don't have to rely on bottled water (although I would recommend you still ask your landlord for the results whenever your water is tested).
If you are not sure if your tap water is completely safe to consume you can purchase purifying filters that you put on your faucet and which filters the bad stuff out of the water.

Certain Makeup Products
Like eyeshadow base, face primer, setting powder and so on. I use my concealer as an eyeshadow base and my normal face powder to set it. I never had problems. Also face primers... how many beauty gurus actually admit they don't feel like they do anything??? biggest scam in the makeup world. In my humble opinion the best way to prime your face for makeup is your moisturizer and sunscreen.

Alright, I think that's all I can come up with for now. Part two might follow in the future.

Keine Kommentare:

Powered by Blogger.